TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The Client hereby agrees to engage First Steps Legal to provide the Client with the following consulting services (the "Services"):
2. The Services will also include any other consulting tasks which the Parties may agree on in the course of communication. First Steps Legal hereby agrees to provide such Services to the Client.
3. First Steps Legal provides paralegal and consulting services that do not fall under the reserved legal activities list as in s. 12 of the Legal Services Act 2007. No service deemed to fall under the reserved legal activity description will be performed by First Steps Legal.
Services agreed upon by the Client and First Steps Legal will be performed upon mutual consent and the Client needs to make all data necessary for the conducting of said services available to First Steps Legal.
4. First Steps Legal endeavours to perform the services to the highest possible standard and within the time limits stated in the quote submitted to the Client.
5. First Steps Legal shall not be held liable for any delays in the work. Notice of any actual or potential delays will be served to the Client in due time. No discounts for delays are available.
6. The Client agrees to provide clear instructions and all available information to First Steps Legal before the commencement of the work.
7. Any additional information or requests will result in the increase of time worked and the applicable fee.
8. First Steps Legal cannot be held liable for any incomplete, incorrect, unclear, ambiguous information submitted by the Client. In case of any delays or cancellations resulting from any such information being submitted to First Steps Legal will result in the Client having to pay the full price for the work as stated on the quote.
9. First Steps Legal will maintain all necessary insurances for the safe running of the business, however it cannot be held liable for any amounts greater than the indemnity limit offered by the insurers.
10. No refunds other than statutory refunds will be entertained as the Client pays for time worked. First Steps Legal cannot be held responsible for discrepancies in the final outcome or the product of the time worked and the Client’s expectations, desires, assumptions, predictions and prospects.
11. Shall the Client require any edits of worked produced, they shall comply with the provision of section 19 below.
12. In cases of consulting services or advice, First Steps Legal cannot be held liable for any misinformation the Client has received from any other sources or wrongful research done by them or any of their employees, associates, directors, affiliates, licensors or partners. First Steps Legal can only be held liable to the extent of the existing insurance policy.
13. Whilst all reasonable efforts will be made to inform the client, First Steps Legal reserves the right to refuse any work without providing explanation.
14. First Steps Legal will charge the Client for the Services as follows (the "Payment"):
A minimum of £40 per hour for consultations, legal research, document review and editing and third-party consultations;
A minimum of £50 per hour for any drafting service, regardless of the simplicity of the project
15. The maximum hourly fee will depend on the complexity of the job, the additional time necessary for research and the payment method selected and it is upon First Steps Legal’s discretion to determine what the hourly fee will be based on the information provided by the client.
16. Invoices submitted by First Steps Legal to the Client are due upon receipt. Exceptions to this will only be made whether the client has demonstrated a complete inability to pay the invoice and sufficient proof of any such inability has been provided. Any exceptions will be made entirely upon First Steps Legal’s discretion.
17. No document or communication other than the invoice with the respective reference number shall be deemed to carry fiscal value.
18. All payments must be made via bank transfer or to First Step Legal’s nominated account or card payment on the link supplied in the invoice. Other payment arrangements can be made only in exceptional circumstances and upon explicit mutual agreement of all interested parties.
19. Any edits after the first draft is submitted will be subject to £40 per hour additional charge. No exceptions to this provision will be made.
20. If the Client requires a certain job or a project to be completed in less than 2 working days after receipt of the official quote, this job or a project is deemed “urgent” and it is a subject to 50% increased hourly fee.
21. In the event that this Agreement is terminated by the Client prior to completion of the Services but where the Services have been partially performed, First Steps Legal will be entitled to pro-rata payment of the Payment to the date of termination provided that there has been no breach of contract on the part of First Steps Legal.
22. In case of payments delayed with more than 48 hours from the receipt of an invoice First Steps Legal reserves the right to apply the statutory interest rate of 8% plus the base rate of the Bank of England as regulated by the The Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 on the amount still owing.
23. In case of non-payment First Steps Legal reserves the right to collect the debt via debt collecting agency or by any other legal means.
24. Except as otherwise provided in these Terms and any subsequent communication, all monetary amounts referred to in this Agreement are in GBP. Payments in any other currency must be explicitly agreed upon between the parties prior to issuing an invoice;.
REIMBURSEMENT OF EXPENSES
25. First Steps Legal will be reimbursed from time to time for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred by First Steps Legal in connection with providing the Services. All expenses shall be pre-approved by the Client.
26. Confidential information (the "Confidential Information") refers to any data or information relating to the business of the Client which would reasonably be considered to be proprietary to the Client including, but not limited to, accounting records, business processes, and client records and that is not generally known in the industry of the Client and where the release of that Confidential Information could reasonably be expected to cause harm to the Client.
27. First Steps Legal agrees that they will not disclose, divulge, reveal, report or use, for any purpose, any Confidential Information which First Steps Legal has obtained, except as authorised by the Client or as required by law. The obligations of confidentiality will apply during the Term and will survive indefinitely upon termination of this Agreement.
All written and oral information and material disclosed or provided by the Client to First Steps Legal under this Agreement is Confidential Information regardless of whether it was provided before or after the date of this Agreement or how it was provided to First Steps Legal.
OWNERSHIP OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
28. All intellectual property and related material, including any trade secrets, moral rights, goodwill, relevant registrations or applications for registration, and rights in any patent, copyright, trademark, trade dress, industrial design and trade name (the "Intellectual Property") that is developed or produced under this Agreement, will be the sole property of the Client. The use of the Intellectual Property by the Client will not be restricted in any manner. First Steps Legal may not use the Intellectual Property for any purpose other than that contracted for in this Agreement except with the written consent of the Client.
29. In providing the Services under these Terms it is expressly agreed that First Steps Legal is acting as an independent contractor and not as an employee. First Steps Legal and the Client acknowledge that these Terms does not create a partnership or joint venture between them, and is exclusively a contract for service.
30. First Steps Legal will be responsible for all income tax liabilities and National Insurance or similar contributions relating to the Payment and First Steps Legal will indemnify the Client in respect of any such payments required to be made by the Client.
31. First Steps Legal will be solely responsible for the payment of all remuneration and benefits due to the employees of First Steps Legal, including any National Insurance, income tax and any other form of taxation or social security costs.
32. All notices, complaints, requests, demands or other communications required or permitted by the terms of these Terms will be given in writing and delivered the following address:
First Steps Legal Consulting Ltd
86-90 Paul Street, London, EC2A 4NE
33. Except to the extent paid in settlement from any applicable insurance policies, and to the extent permitted by applicable law, each Party agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the other Party, and its respective directors, shareholders, affiliates, officers, agents, employees, and permitted successors and assigns against any and all claims, losses, damages, liabilities, penalties, punitive damages, expenses, reasonable legal fees and costs of any kind or amount whatsoever, which result from or arise out of any act or omission of the indemnifying party, its respective directors, shareholders, affiliates, officers, agents, employees, and permitted successors and assigns that occurs in connection with these Terms. This indemnification will survive the termination of these Terms.
MODIFICATION OF AGREEMENT
34. Although all reasonable endeavours will be made to notify clients, First Steps Legal reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions without prior notice.
35. First Steps Legal will not voluntarily, or by operation of law, assign or otherwise transfer its obligations under these Terms without the prior written consent of the Client.
36. This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Should a dispute arise between First Steps Legal and the Client, a dispute resolution bodies must be engaged first before submitting any official complaints to the courts.
37. In the event that any of the provisions of these Terms are held to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part, all other provisions will nevertheless continue to be valid and enforceable with the invalid or unenforceable parts severed from the remainder of this Agreement.
38. The waiver by either Party of a breach, default, delay or omission of any of the provisions of these terms by the other Party will not be construed as a waiver of any subsequent breach of the same or other provisions.